Monday, February 18, 2013

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth



I picked up this book in order to have one more push in the natural direction. I wanted to read more birth stories and know that I CAN do it. Unfortunately, I found it somewhat disappointing. The first half is full of birth stories but many were lacking the nitty gritty details that I wanted to read and at a certain point they just seemed to get repetitive

The second half was more general information about pregnancy, labor, birth and various procedures. While there were parts that were indeed enlightening and I hadn't read about in other sources (eg. the relationship between nutrition and toxemia), I found much of the information quite superficial. Obviously I expected the book to be anti-interventionist, but at times the tone was a little strong for me. A couple chapters were thoroughly boring in my personal opinion (history of midwifery), and so all in all while I appreciated the outlook, I didn't love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment