Thursday, December 15, 2011

Baby Led Weaning

M and I eat a pretty healthy diet. I don't follow any specific protocols, but I do have an intense aversion to food produced in a factory. Basically, if it comes from nature, or was made in the "olden-days" (i.e. can be made manually), I'll eat it. Otherwise, I'm not a fan. This means that we exclude a lot of processed goods- corn syrup, powdered soups, things made with milk solids instead of cheese, margarine etc. This is why I was so adamant about breastfeeding, and avoiding formula.



I make most of my parenting decisions intuitively, but I like if there's research behind it. So of course when I came across the notion of Baby Led Weaning, I was all about it. I do believe that children were made to feed themselves from the day they were born. Therefore, there's no reason that we need to stop this process and begin feeding them once they are ready for solids. So I picked up the book to read up a little more.

As I was reading it, I had a lot of "duh" moments, which is good because the whole thing really made a lot of sense to me. In short, when a baby can sit up, pick up a piece of food, and put it in their mouths (plus eventually chew and swallow) then they are ready for solids, and can begin feeding themselves (in addition to milk feedings). These abilities also coincide with the time at which a baby's digestive system is ready to consume other foods. The book was a little wordy, but I'm glad to have it as a reference for ideas of what to feed Baby Boy.


*and this post is going to double as an answer to #WEverb11 no.13

No comments:

Post a Comment