Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Feeding Chapter 3: Blocked Ducts & Low Supply

We had 5 great days of feeding. Baby Boy still needed about an hour and a half to get through a feeding, with multiple re-latchings, but at least he was doing it. It wasn't perfect but at this point I couldn't be happier to be done with the syringe and the pumping multiple times a day.

It was the day we had to got to the consulate to get Baby Boy's American passport in the works. We didn't have enough time to finish his morning feeding (that was taking well over an hour at this point), so we kept going in the car (not recommended). Then we had to wait, and wait, and wait. (The customer service is not exactly up to par, but that's another story for another day). And so Baby Boy got hungry, and I had to feed him there, in the One big waiting hall. It was pretty much a disaster, not to mention that I was starving (because you're not allowed to bring food- like I said, that's another story).

Shortly after we got home, I knew something was wrong. I felt extremely "full" and so decided to pump, when I realized that I wasn't getting much. This prompted me to take a closer look, and I realized pretty quickly that I had a blocked duct (from some combination of erratic feeding and a bra that was too tight). Baby Boy refused to feed on that side, so it was back to pumping and syringe feeding. My doc prescribed an anti-inflammatory, and with a few warm showers, massaging of the area and lots of pumping, by the next day it was gone. But we had another problem: Baby Boy had forgotten how to suck. We were back at square 1, ok maybe square 2.

It took a few more days to get going again because now I was dealing with low supply- a side effect of the medication. This meant that after every single feeding, I would pump to make sure both sides were drained and to get extra stimulation; it was exhausting pumping day and night and I really couldn't do anything but feed Baby Boy (not to mention sore nipples from all that time). What really helped though, was watching the Jack Newman videos and recognizing when Baby Boy was getting milk, so that I could help him re-create his positioning. Once he was back on track, my supply re-stabalized and we officially hit a serious milestone.



It was a really big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment