Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Becoming a Crunchy Mama

I only heard of this term online, but I guess I am destined to become crunchy granola*. I'd like to think of it as an endearing term for a conscientious, environmentally/nutritionally-aware and involved mom. I'm not in denial of its snarky nature, but I just don't see it that way, so it doesn't bother me**.

Being "green" in Mexico is hard; it's still a developing country after all. When I bring re-useable bags to the grocery store, the bag-person always looks at me as if I'm a weirdo. Even after a year and a half here, my heart hurts a little every time I have to put a can or bottle in the trash. So I know I'm going to be quite the stand-out when it comes to decision I make for Baby Boy.

The middle to upper classes don't do things like breastfeeding or vaginally delivering children (because they can afford formula and a good hospital that will schedule a c-section; it's a status thing). They don't carry their children in slings because that's only for the poor that can't afford a stroller. And they definitely don't use cloth diapers! That is so 30 years ago.

I'm pretty lucky that the Wives already called me out long ago. They already know that when they need healthy, mostly veggie recipes I'm the source. Not one was surprised that I wanted to cloth diaper. And I've gotten nothing but support in terms of wanting Baby Boy to live in our room and have limited plastic junk around. But that's the exception. I'm already thinking that just dealing with the hospital here will be an uphill battle, but that's another post for another day.


*BTW, yes I eat a lot of granola and yes I make it myself at home (but there's nothing "weird" in it, and outside sources agree with me that it tastes good).

**I also don't care to impose my ideals on others, and don't mind that we are the only ones of our friends that live this "type" of lifestyle, if you can call it that; to each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment