Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Scary Stuff

When people were inquiring about why we were buying baby stuff in the US we had a multi-faceted answer. Let's not be all high and mighty, our main reasons were financial. Customs taxes in Mexico mean that everything made in China costs 3 times as much as it does back home (and in our world a lot of stuff is made in China). But no less important to me, are safety regulations. Frankly I just don't trust the Mexican inspection standards. It is way too easy here to buy officials off.

So anything that involves safety, like BPA-free bottles, breast pump, and of course our car seat, I opted to get abroad. This week M sent me an article on BPA that is pretty scary. To really do our job of avoiding environmental pathogens, we probably need to stop eating canned food, change all our plastic containers to glass, and stick with eco-toys made of wood and fabric. I don't think we're ready for that commitment yet, but it certainly makes you think.

Here's the article: BPA Linked to Wheezing in Babies

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine told me that she wants to sell my baby stuff cause I don't need it anymore.

    ReplyDelete