Thursday, May 5, 2011

GD

After reading some other blog posts on the subject, one of my biggest fears was failing my gestational diabetes test. I have to say that with my sugar intake I was a bit worried.

Anyway, when my doctor gave me the referral to the clinic to get the one-hour glucose test a few weeks ago, the anxiety built for the better part of two weeks before we went in to do it.

Once there it was pretty much as bad as I expected it would be. I'd been fasting since the night before, and needed to pick up a glucose bottle for the test to be done in our local clinic. We drove around to 3 pharmacies that didn't have it, until we finally gave up and went to the big clinic where they have it on hand. Let me just say, by this time, I was really hungry. I had the first fasting blood test, and then was sent home for 40 minutes. Wanting to stay as far away from the kitchen, and still somehow pass the time, I opted for a morning shower. M was worried I would faint in the shower, but it worked out ok. So we drove back to the clinic, and I drank a cup of disgusting syrup, and then had to sit around for an hour. The chairs were uncomfortable, there was no wifi, and I was definitely feeling sorry for myself. The only thing that made it better was that with the rush of sugar, at least I didn't feel like I was going to faint anymore.

The next day, we picked up the results and I had just barely failed. :( M and I both got into full on research mode of the results, and both concluded independently that I did not have gestational diabetes. At most, I needed to chill out with the sugar. The only fear I had was that the doctor would send me in for the 3 hour test to confirm this; it sounded like complete torture.

By some small miracle, the doctor agreed that I did not have GD and since I am pretty skinny, for the time being I was excused from the extra test (fingers crossed he doesn't change his mind any time soon)! He said to chill on the bread.

And we say: if only he knew, it's not the bread: it's the skittles, and melon, and chocolate, and cookies. Chill I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment